With so many different types of communicating out there now email remains a solid constant. We get so many emails in both personal and business life. Emails can be a productivity killer. It can prevent you from getting work done. You have to remember you email inbox is a tool not a task; so don’t let it rule you.
How I tame my email inbox
- I turn off notifications
- I have set my phone to only fetch emails manually – i.e. when I go into my email app and refresh for mail.
- I set aside only two blocks of 30 minutes a day for checking emails
- I get tasks out of my inbox. I don’t use my email inbox as a to do list.
- I use the archive button and keep me inbox clear.
- I use unroll.me to unsubscribe from unwanted emails or roll interest items up into a digest summary
Not checking your email every few minutes is not about being insensitive, rude, or disrespectful. Rather, it is about being productive, getting work done. By checking email less, you will set expectations for others that you are busy, however, you will get back to them soon. If they need you immediately, they can call you.